There’s nothing I dislike more than dirty, crowded bars and really any attraction crawling with people on vacation. Call me a curmudgeon, but I like my space, less people and blending in with locals no matter where I go. So, I avoid Broadway and the bar scene like it’s my job and travel the varying neighborhoods scattered through the city.
During the first day in Nashville, I snagged my favorite slice of pizza in the city at Five Points located in East Nashville followed by a trifecta of deliciously sweet goodness at Jeni’s Ice Cream. I opted for my favorites peppermint and almond brittle and tried out the blueberry frozen yogurt. Earlier that day, I tried out Juice Bar in Germantown and finally got my hands on a breakfast bagel sandwich at Proper Bagel in Belmont. The second day included donuts, brunch and burgers while weaving in and out of neighborhoods to shop and explore, but I’ll get into those in a bit!
[Taylor top + Seychelles Forward wedge sandals c/o PB&J Boutique, (20 percent off code: memorial20), jeans by Mother, bag by Rebecca Minkoff, necklace + bracelet by Clyde’s Rebirth, Le Specs sunglasses c/o Sunglasses Shop]
My favorite neighborhoods in Nashville are East Nashville, Germantown and 12 South. Each have been growing and expanding since my first visit New Years Eve 2012. A great guide is available by Nashville Guru. Scroll below for a break down of favorite food spots, coffee shops and boutiques.
Favorite food stops
- Five Points Pizza. East Nashville spot: Spend little $$ and eat a delicious-ass slice of pizza.
- Butchertown Hall. Germantown: Good meats, big, beautiful space and lots of outdoor seating.
- Burger Up. 12 South: If you’re a burger person like me you’ll be in heaven. Plus the sweet potato fries are perfection.
- Five Daughters Bakery. 12 South: For donuts! Normal kinds I like plus vegan and paleo versions!
- Jeni’s Ice Cream. 12 South & East Nashville: These are located throughout Nashville and beyond (started in Ohio I believe), but it never gets old. So many creamy flavors and fruity frozen yogurt options.
- Juice Bar. Great variety, healthy and several locations throughout the city.
- Pharmacy Burger. East Nashville: Beer garden, great burgers and those buns! CARBS NOM.
- Las Paletas. 12 South: Pay an arm and a leg for a popsicle, but fuck it’s good.
- Proper Bagel. Belmont: In a converted house with lots subway tile, this light and bright space is welcoming with fresh flowers, natural light and so much delicious stuff from a dozen or so flavors of cream cheeses to fresh bagels to deli-like foods AND pastries.
Coffee Shop Favorites
- Barista Parlor. Several locations, my favorites are in East Nashville + Germantown. They have large, garage doors that open, an industrial feel that still feels warm and welcoming and the staff are friendly. No pretentious baristas!
- CREMA. SoBro: convenient if you’re staying close to downtown + good coffee + plenty of outdoor seating.
- Frothy Monkey. Several locations, but my favorite in 12 South in an old converted house. Good breakfast + coffee!
- Imogene + Willie. Located in 12 South in an old, converted gas station, this place is beautiful and carries their own line of denim, Aesop products and more.
- MODA. Located next to Frothy Monkey in 12 South, they carry designer labels, high quality clothing and jewelry/accessories.
- Cadeau. In 12 South down the street in a newer building (next to a Jeni’s), this home decor boutique is my absolute favorite of all the home decor/gift shops I’ve visited.
- Hey Rooster General Store. This tiny little shop is sweet and filled with cute stationary, apothecary products and other gift items. It’s located in East Nashville across from Barista Parlor, or pretty close from what I remember. Grab a coffee and hop across the street!
- White’s Mercantile. A large general store located in 12 South carrying everything from cute dog accessories to women’s clothing to apothecary products. It’s pretty large and filled with products–you can lose track of time easily as you scan all the products!
- Abednego. There are a few beautiful shops in Germantown and this is the only one I had time to pop into and it was gorgeous and I loved the clothes and the home goods/gifts.